February 9, 2009

Mt. Sinai

(I know its a lot of reading... but its semi-good. You should read it. )

I'm not going to lie (one because that was my goal for the week and two because I think its too awesome to lie about) Mt. Sinai was not worth the hike up... or so it seemed when I got to the very top and was freezing to the point that I could barely move or think straight.
The hike was very difficult for me (I don't know about everyone... I am just saying for me). We started the hike up the mountain about 2am, where it of course was freezing and dark (of course). It started out pretty decent and the stars against the mountain were beautiful. I could just imagine Abraham and Moses looking up at those stars and thinking about how the Lord promised that his posterity would fill the earth... yet then the hike started getting more intense and the incline increased immensely. Soon I was just praying that I could just take a few more steps, and then a few more than that. I seriously didn't know if I could make it and I got colder by the minute.
I finally got to the top, and watched the sun rise over the top. I will admit that it was a beautiful sunrise... but nothing too special. Everyone was snuggling to stay warm, but I was just ready to
go back down. Luckily the wonderful Tamara was about ready to go down, so I walked down with her. I still wasn't sure that it was worth it till about 1/3 of the way down, when I looked up and saw what I had accomplished. The road was hard and rocky on the way up. I couldn't see where I was going and I had to trust in the little light that I had. Even now I don't know how I got up (I honestly think that God was helping me up). Yet then I traveled down in the light and saw what I had accomplished and it became worth it to me. I think that's how the Lord works in our life. He helps us up rocky roads, where we aren't really sure where we are going and when we are going to reach our final destination, but soon when we reach the peak... we began to see the light and we see what the Lord had in store for us and what he wanted us to learn. We really just have to lean and trust in the Lord to get us over that mountain. I now am very glad that I was able to accomplish that hike and see the light. It was worth it... as all trials are.

Right before the dawn was breaking. One of the worst parts because it was cold and the darkest, but then the sun broke and we were able to see what I accomplished.
Some people as they started going down (not my photo)

I know it doesn't look that high from the picture... but trust me. Its high and steep.

The view as we started walking down.

Looking into the rising sun.

Tamara really gave me some great insight on the way down. I was so grateful that just her and I could go down the mountain together and just talk. I have learned so much from her already. I hope she knows what a powerful aura she has surrounding her.

Priscilla joining us... she walks a little faster than we do apparently. I was amazed at her strength to climb up that mountain and her being so sick. I had trouble and I was perfectly healthy... the people who completed that being sick deserve an award.

If there is one thing I regret... its that I didn't take a picture with my new hero Suzy Wilson at the top (or anywhere close to Sinai for that matter). She was seriously the one who got me up to the top. She was pushing me along and waiting for me when I needed to take a rest... and she was also one of the sick ones. I call her hero everytime I see her (I hope that doesn't annoy her...) because she truly is. I love that girl. (she might be an angel)

Well thats all for now.... I think Egypt is done... It was seriously such a good trip. I can't wait to save up some more money and go back there. I fell in love with that beautiful place.


No comments: