January 17, 2009

Saturday January 17, 2009

This week has flown by so fast. I can't believe that its already shabbat (the sabbath). Yesterday we went to the "Wailing Wall" which is the western wall of the Old City wall. I think its the only remaining original wall of Herod's Temple. We went about sundown (which is when the Jewish sabbath starts) so there were tons of people there to sing, pray and worship. It has been my favorite thing so far. I was able to walk right up to the wall which was present when Jesus was there and place a small piece of paper in the crack as a prayer to God. (It was basially the most awesome thing ever... there were pieces of paper with written prayers in every open crevice in the wall. After some moments of meditation, some of us met up with a group of Jewish girls and participated in their song and dance (the boys and girls had to be seperated so they can't be distracted in their worship.) Everyone was so kind and willing to let you into their circle. For the first time I was approached and asked about my religion... but the sad thing is that I wasn't allowed to say anything about it. (The church has agreement not to talk about the church in Israel) But other wise it was so much fun and I loved seeing the people in the midst of their culture having such a fun time celebrating the coming of the sabbath. (Just something I have holy envy for) I wish I was able to take some pictures to share with everyone, but we aren't allowed cameras because it is so Sacred.
Today we walked to the Garden of Gethsemane (which is a good walk from the Jerusalem Center... as is everything) It is just a small little garden with a few of the oldest olive trees alive inside. It had such a great spirit about it though, and I was able to read my scriptures and write in my journal as I sat in the middle of all those trees. I still am astonished that I am here and able to sit and read the account of the Savior while I sit where he once was. It is such a powerful expirence.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow Kenz that sounds incredible! I'm so jealous of all the things you are getting to see and do! And I miss you like crazy. Whitney and I wrote you the best e-mail in history, why haven't you written us back!?!?! Also, Obama is being made president today. I'm going to watch in honor of you. Just tell me you love me. hehe